Syllabus and Course Outline
HOTELS AND LODGING
NUMBER OF HOURS:
15 - 30 Hours
Earn great commissions by booking your client's hotel accommodations. Learn the basics of the hotel product,
rate structure, property and room classifications, codes, online and automated resources and non-automated
reservations procedures. Identify your guests' preferences, learn the variables that affect prices, select the
right hotel for any given client.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- List the qualities hotel guests look for in a hotel
- Name six types of properties in the lodging industry
- Demonstrate an understanding of the variety of classification systems in the hotel industry
- Identify major hotel chains regarding the class of lodging and service they provide
- List and explain six factors that can affect the price of a room
- Decode type, class, size, and meal plan codes
- List and differentiate between hotel references
- Read and interpret selected references
- Name the various ways to book a hotel room
- Determine clients' needs and expectations by questioning
- List and define reservation policies and procedures
- Name the steps and information necessary to make a reservation
- Select the appropriate property and location for the client
Successful completion of all Stop, Review and Applies, Challenges, participation in Discussion, and Exams.
Each lesson includes an online Review (Stop, Review and Apply) as well as at least one Challenge that requires independent research and application.
The maximum time to complete this course will be sent to you by your instructor. The course includes 7 challenges, 5 reviews and 1 exam. You could plan
to complete this course within a month if you complete an average of 3 to 4 assignments per week. These assignments are not time consuming.
Lesson 1 - Hotel Guest Preferences and Types of Properties (10 pages)
Lesson 2 - Hotel Classification Systems (10 pages)
Lesson 3 - Hotel Rates (11 pages)
Lesson 4 - Hotel References and Distribution System (8 pages)
Lesson 5 - Selecting and Booking the Right Property (8 pages)
Lesson 6 - Review (10 pages)