Syllabus and Course Outline
TAKING OFF IN TRAVEL
NUMBER OF HOURS:
20 - 30 Hours
This course provides an overview of the basics of the travel industry and career opportunities available.
Enjoy a fun, realistic presentation of: air travel, car rentals, hotel accommodations, rail travel, tours,
and cruises. Group travel, incentive travel, meetings and conventions, in-bound tourism, international travel
and niche travel are also discussed. There will be opportunities for learning activities as well as exercises
and thought-provoking case studies to aid in applying the principles presented.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- List the types of businesses available in the travel industry as well as career opportunities and skills needed
- Understand the many facets of air travel, including air travel codes, itineraries, air fares, airline tickets and airport/airline protocol
- Discuss the policies and procedures of car rental
- Identify the multiple factors influencing the hotel industry
- Explain the benefits of and the differences among Amtrak, VIA Rail, Britrail and Eurail
- Consider that there are tours offered for almost every type of client, destination, age and budget
- Identify the varieties of cruise products available to appeal to the variety of cruisers
- Describe the various references for cruises
- Become familiar with the popular trends in travel including incentive travel, group travel, meeting and convention planning, in-bound tourism, international travel and niche travel
- List the kinds of information needed to make an airline, car rental, hotel, rail, tour and cruise reservation
Successful completion of all reviews, challenges, discussion items and final exam.
Lessons include an online Review (Stop, Review and Apply) Challenges that require independent research and application,
case studies and opinion items to be submitted to your instructor. There are also Reservation Job Aids, possible
career lists for each segment of the travel industry and a Day in the Life look at various travel careers.
COURSE ACTIVITIES AND ASSIGNMENTS:
Lesson 1 ~ Taking Off Opportunities (19 pages)
Lesson 2 ~ Taking Off Into The Air (28 pages)
Lesson 3 ~ Taking Off Down The Road (17 pages)
Lesson 4 ~ Taking Off To The Hotel Industry (26 pages)
Lesson 5 ~ Taking Off By Rail (24 pages)
Lesson 6 ~ Taking Off On A Tour (25 pages)
Lesson 7 ~ Taking Off On A Cruise (35 pages)
Lesson 8 ~ Taking Off With Other Travel Services (26 pages)
The maximum time to complete this course, if not included in your welcome letter, will be sent to you by your instructor. To be completed in that time: 8 reviews, 8 Challenges, 17 discussion items, called What's Your Opinion? and What Would You Do If. . .? and one final exam. All reviews are graded and recorded automatically. Challenges and discussion items are submitted electronically to your instructor with results returned via email.